Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Discovering Creation in a Barbell

"Meditate, my brother, on the Creator's wisdom in structuring your body," Rabbi Bachya ben Yosef ibn Paquda advises in his classic book, Duties of the Heart. The Rambam likewise observes in his Epistle to Yemen:

"The inner parts of man are the true wonders that reveal the wisdom of the Creator: the nerves extending into the muscles which allow man to move his limbs at will; the attachment of ligaments, how they cling to bone, and the manner in which they grow; the connection of bones and joints; blood vessels that pulsate and those that do not and how they branch out; the placement of man's organs overlapping one another; how every part of the body has its proper composition form, and place."

The fundamental barbell exercises (squat, press, deadlift) are the weighted expression of this Divinely arranged physical structure. Consider the deadlift. On the surface, a deadlift is simply picking up a bar from the floor and standing up with it. (The "simply" part tends to disappear with a maximal weight.)

In fact, a deadlift contains an immense network of musculoskeletal coordination from the upper back down through the legs. Toward the end of my interview on the deadlift with Mark Rippetoe, Rip recounted how he discovered why the shoulder blades need to be aligned with the bar at the start of an efficient deadlift. I'll close this post with his reflections:

"Look at the anatomy of the traps and the rhomboids. Look at the position that the scapulas are in to receive the force transmitted up the spine. It’s right there in front of you. That is the structure that receives the force transmitted across those broad muscles isometrically and then down the arms to the bar...

The trapezius has the broadest muscle origin in the human body. It goes all the way from the base of the skull down to T12. It receives the force that the rigid spine transmits, the force generated by the muscles that open the knees and the hips. That force is then transmitted across the traps and the rhomboids to the scapulas. What hangs from the scapulas? The arms. And then if you’ll look at it, every single time you see somebody pulling a heavy bar off the floor—every single time—it’s the scapula that is plumb to the bar, not the arms. Why would that be? Because the scapula is the thing below which the bar hangs. The tensional force of the weight in the hands is transmitted between the scapulas and the grip by the muscles, ligaments, and tendons that anchor the bones in place isometrically. The traps and rhomboids transfer the force to the scapulas; the triceps, biceps, forearm muscles, grip muscles, and the ligaments and tendons form the chain from which the weight hangs; and the lats act on the humerus to keep the arms at the angle they have to be to place the load directly under the scapulas."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

The_Editrix said...

Myles, how are you? I happened to come across your Blogger profile and saw you made Aliyah (sp?). Good luck for you. If you care to, drop me a line at editrix at editrixoffice dot com. I would be thrilled.

Now a topical question: Why would a woman do powerlifting? I always think that sport is about performance with aesthetics coming a close second. While there are sports where men and women compete on equal terms, woman will neither achieve the performance a man does nor does it do anything for her (or the spectator) from an aesthetic point of view. I guess it is about willpower and breaking boundaries, but a woman could achieve that by other means as well, means that do not uglify her all that much. Running comes to mind.

Surely, this is an ignorant question, but bear with me. It is one I have asked myself often before and couldn't answer BECAUSE of that ignorance.

Best regards,
Nora from Germany

Anonymous said...

good afternoon people. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for that particular make. The prices seeking the boots were about 230 bucks on every site. But completely I base this area selling them for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Someone deleted a variety of links from filebase.to and uploading servers.

From now, we will use www.tinyurlalternative.com as our main [url=http://www.tinyurlalternative.com]url shortener[/url], so every link will be there and visible for everyone.

You can pick out from several great [url=http://kfc.ms]short url[/url] address like:

kfc.ms easysharelink.info jumpme.info megauploadlink.info megavideolink.info mygamelink.info myrapidsharelink.info mytorrentlink.info myurlshortener.com mywarezlink.info urlredirect.info urlshrinker.info weblinkshortener.com youtubelink.info and many others.

They include above 60 other available domains and the [url=http://myurlshortener.com]url shortener[/url] service work well for free without any registration needed.

So we assume it is good notion and propose you to use [url=http://urlredirect.info]url redirect[/url] service too!

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good evening bros. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging allowing for regarding that singular model. The prices as regards the velcros are all over 220 bucks on every page. But definitively I found this site selling them for half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good morning friends. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging for that particular model. The prices for the sneakers were around 350 bucks everwhere. But finally I found this locate selling them for half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good evening dudes. I'm really into shoes and I was searching as far as something that exact brand. The prices seeking the velcros are all over 350 pounds everwhere. But finally I set this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be just what I'm looking for.

Would you offer guest writers to write content in your
case? I wouldn't mind composing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write concerning here.
Again, awesome weblog!

Also visit my web site center for theta healing